The Deakin Diversity in Law Conference will shine light on the glaring lack of diversity – gender, ethnic, sexual orientation, etc – in the legal profession and related areas. Despite the visibly multicultural and plural society we witness in our diurnal lives, the world of the law continues to favour certain groups to the exclusion of others. This has pernicious consequences including: 1. exclusion of people on illegitimate grounds; 2. denial of equal opportunities; 3. a non-representative justice system; 4. suboptimal utilization of talent and capabilities; and 5. a weaker profession and society built on the rule of law.
The conference will bring together practitioners, activists, academics, and experts to share experiences and debate steps to make the legal profession and related areas more inclusive. An exciting line-up of speakers including stars in an array of domains – litigation, in-house law, legal entrepreneurship, big-law, business, and government will be part of.
- The Hon. Michael Kriby AC CMG
- Professor Sandeep Gopalan, Deakin Law School
- Michelle Dixon, CEO and Partner, Commercial Disputes at Maddocks
- Justine Rowe, General Counsel, Telstra
- Heidi Roberts, Partner Diversity and Inclusion, Chair of Diversity Council at Corrs Chambers Westgarth
- Professor Samantha Hepburn, Deakin Law School
- Dr Tanim Bari, Deakin Law School
- Dr Kunle Ola, Australian Catholic University
- Dr Shiri Krebs, Deakin Law School
- Tala Bennett, Associate General Counsel, Deloitte
- Petra Zlatevska
- Ramanan Rajendran, Partner at Minter Ellison
- Marianne Marchesi, Founder and Principal Lawyer of Smartlaw firm, Legalite
- Shobana Richmond, Group Manager - Legal Recruitment, Taylor Root
The objective is also to provide inspiration to law students by showcasing success strategies and creating opportunities for networking and mentorship.
Who Should Attend
Practitioners, judges, court & tribunal administrators, academics, consumers of legal services, business persons, and students. This is a FREE CPD event, however, registration is essential.
Post Conference Networking
There will be a networking event following the formal part of the conference. Light refreshments will be available.
For inquiries relating to the conference content, please contact the conference chair.
Name: Professor Sandeep Gopalan
Phone: 03 9251 7707